Newsletter Editor – Gladwyn Scott
- The Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame will hold its thirteenth annual induction banquet on Saturday, June 6, 2009, 5:00 p.m. at the Morden Recreation Centre. Cocktails at 3:00 p.m., Dinner at 5:00 p.m. Banquet tickets are available from Jack Hrehirchuk, 114 – 10th Ave S.E. Dauphin, R7N 2H1 phone 204-638-6923 email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Three teams, one family & eight individuals will be inducted:
Major Team category – St. Lazare Athletics (1962-67) – this team played in M.S.B.L. 1965 Provincial Champions. Great community support.
Small Community category – Carberry Royals (1979-84) – won five Santa Clara League titles in six years. Special Team category – Giroux Athletics (1988-92) – won four Manitoba twilight titles & three Western Canada crowns.
Special category – Robertson Family – Al, Lorna, Randy & Jeff instrumental in Hamiota, earning the title of Baseball Capital of Manitoba for many years.
- Rod Fallis – August 8, 1951 – first sacker with Snowflake, Crystal City, Carman, St. Boniface, Binscarth, Transcona, Mayville, Glenboro & Brisbane, Australia.
- Gordon Fines – March 11, 1950 – outstanding builder from the Balmoral & Stonewall, area organized provincial Western Canada, National & Pan Am games. Fines Field is one of Canada’s best diamonds.
- Bill Kinley – December 17, 1954 – slugging shortstop and third base with Elmwood Giants Junior and Senior, Mayville State, Team Manitoba, homerun and RBI leader.
- Kerry Lowe – June 24, 1959 – 15 years in MSBL eight times with Team Manitoba, played with Hamiota & McAuley.
- Scott Neiles – August 8, 1961 – all star short stop with St. Boniface Native Sons, Brisbane, Australia, won five consecutive senior AAA crowns, Winnipeg Goldeyes coach 1994-2000.
- Brian Reid – October 15, 1953 – power hitting outfielder with Neepawa Cubs & Carman Goldeyes, Manitoba Player of Year 1984, Manitoba coach of the year 1995. Won five senior AAA titles in six years.
- Wayne Seidler – July 3, 1950 – switch hitter, versatile player who had power & consistency as a hitter, 5 times Giroux M.V.P., homerun & RBI leader. Team Manitoba winning pitcher at Nanaimo, B.C. in Western Canada Senior AA.
- Bob Smith – September 1, 1917 – October 11, 1967 – great coaching career with Morse Place & Elmwood Giants, inducted into Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame as a builder in 1998 & with Elmwood Giants Junior (1957-61) in the Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Condolences to the families of the following Hall of Fame members who have passed away:
- Bill Legary – Pilot Mound Pilots (2005)
- Aggie Kukulowicz – Fort Whyte (1998)
- Dennis McAuley – Dauphin Redbirds (2005)
- Graeme Shaw (80) – Cardale (2000)
- Ron Chalmers (75) – The Pas Tee Pees (2005)
- Errol Berry (94) – Carberry Royals (1998)
- Dave Shury (78) – Saskatchewan Hall of Fame founder (1983) valuable guide to MBHOF.
- We acknowledge, with thanks, our 2008 life memberships:
Bill Whitehead (Roland), Howard Sager (Morden), Gibb Pritchard, Bob Kinley, Randy Ladobruk (all of Winnipeg), Doris Hovorka (Sprague), Brian Reid (Carman), John Zeeben (Yorkton), Ellis Woods (Stonewall), Randy & Jeannine Robertson (Sharon, Ont), John Lesyshan (Waterloo, Iowa), Manitoba Senior Baseball League, Victor Watson (Lacombe, AB) Al MCNiven (Coldstream, BC) Fred Schmidt (Medicine Hat, AB) Nick Glowa (Huntington Beach, CA)
2008 Annual Memberships:
Howkie Hawkins (Thunder Bay, ON), Richard Cayer (Vassar), Ross Lynd (Melfort, SK), Dale Hunter (Belmont), Edward Vertz (Glenboro), William Clark (Columbia MO), Kurt Ardron (Brandon), David Hay (Saskatonn, SK) Dan Cassils (Winnipeg)
2008 Family membership – Don Hurton (Holland)
- The Town of Morden received a Cultural Grant (Chautaugua) and our organization received some of the grant money. As a result many Baseball Hall of Fame inductees were interviewed for video presentations at future events. Interviews were held at Dauphin, Neepawa, Brandon, Winnipeg & Morden. Special thanks to all involved. We are in the process of introducing these interviews to our website www.mbhof.ca.
- Perry Kalynuk, Waskada Orioles inductee is teaching school in Shanghai, China.
- Get well wishes are extended to Almer McKerlie who underwent surgery at the Health Sciences Centre in January and is doing well.
- After ten editions of the Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame calendars, we will not have a 2009 calendar. It does require much planning & energy to produce & market.
- The 2008 Museum Expansion Project is nearing completion. Because of the significant demand for construction trades in 2008, the overall Morden Town building project was delayed by several months. Our component of the project ie. walls, ceiling, flooring, office and specialized lighting is complete and work is underway on a) restoring display cases which were purchased second hand from the Bay b) security monitoring, and c) interactive computer installations. The Board of Directors would like to thank all individuals, businesses, foundations and the provincial government for their financial donations and for the provisions of goods and services. In the years 2007, 08 and 09 over $53,000 was received for this project. While the Expansion Project will soon be completed, our organization still needs your support to be successful. From an operational standpoint, in the future, we will have to rely less on profits from the Induction Dinner & more on memberships & donations. Therefore we urge you to both assist us in soliciting members and support our organization via annual donations. A form is included for the purpose of assisting in this regard.
- Inductees for the 2009 Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame at St. Mary’s, Ontario, June 19 & 20 include: Larry Walker (Maple Ridge BC), Ernie Witt (Toronto Blue Jays and Team Canada) Bernie Souliere builder with Windsor, Team Ontario and Team Canada.
- Brock McConaghy (Calgary) has donated to our museum and autographed ball by the 1971 National champion Brandon Cloverleafs.
- 2009 Manitoba Senior Baseball tournaments
- Senior AA Allstars at Stonewall, July 17–19
- Senior AA League Tournament at Wawanesa Aug 7–9
- Western Canada Senior AA at Peace River Alberta Aug 13–16. (Borderwest Allstars, Baldur Regals represent Manitoba), MSBL will send a team to the Senior AAA Nationals at Dartmouth NS
Chairman -Jack Callum, Winnipeg (889-0818); Vice-chairman – John Hindle, Winnipeg (257-7039); Secretary/Treasurer – Gord Arbuckle, Pilot Mound (825-2570); Directors – Andy Alexiuk, Winnipeg (256-6484); Jack Hrehirchuk, Dauphin (638-6923); Al Kinley, St. Andrews (338-9603); Frank McKinnon, Winnipeg (253-6982); Glennis Scott, Minnedosa (8673968); Gladwyn Scott, Carberry (834-3460); Al Robertson, Hamiota (764-2002); Dr. Morris Mott, Brandon (726-5167); Scott Neiles, Winnipeg (253-8313); Jim Mutcheson, Morden (822-3352); Winston Smith, Winnipeg (488-0765); Bob Thompson, Oak Lake (761-0070); Joe Wiwchar (Museum Manager), Morden (822-4636); Murray Zuk, Souris (483-2687); Lloyd Brown, Brandon (728-6319); Bill Kirkup, Souris (483-3116); Roy Seidler, Giroux (346-2116); Wayne McLeod, Winnipeg (233-2795)
The Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame in Morden has undergone expansion in 2008/2009. This wonderful facility which protects and displays the heritage of baseball in Manitoba is one that we can all be proud of. To maintain and grow the hall, we conduct an annual campaign asking for donations.
If you would like to see the Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame flourish, please consider a donation at this time. A charitable tax receipt will be issued for all donations of $25 or greater.
Thank you on behalf of the Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame Board of Directors
Donation to Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame: $______________
Date: ___________________ Phone:________________________________
Credit Card: Visa__ M/C__
Name on card: ____________________________________
Mail form with cheque or credit card information to:
Secretary/Treasurer, Gord Arbuckle, Box 406, Pilot Mound, MB, R0G 1P0
Email: email@example.com Phone: 204-825-2570
Thank you for investing in the future of the Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame!