HALL OF FAME NEWSLETTER
From: Gladwyn Scott, Newsletter Editor
- Hats off to director Scott Neiles who was able to obtain a pair of Grey Cup tickets for Dancin’ Gabe & his brother to attend the annual football extravaganza in Toronto on very short notice
- Life member Edgar Rivalin was inducted into the Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame, October 6, 2007 as a member of the Manitoba Bisons 1965 CIAU champions. He was inducted into the Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005 as a member of The Pas Tee Pees (1959-64).
- Life member & a 2008 inductee, Rick Cruise, has donated a special trophy to our museum that he received in Havana, Cuba before 40,000 fans & Fidel Castro, as the home run champion (2 dingers), at the 1970 World Championships. He tied with a Columbian player.
- Joe Zeman (Saskatoon), 1967 Pan Am team manager, celebrated his 94th birthday in February 2008. Bob Lacouriere (69), Baseball Canada president (1967), passed away at his Saskatoon home November 12, 2007
- Since the Saskatchewan Baseball Hall of Fame was inaugurated (1985) they have recognized 337 individuals, 21 teams, 16 communities, & 10 families.
After our 2008 banquet, Manitoba Baseball Hall of Fame has inducted 196 individuals, 34 teams, & 4 special groups.
- Life member & 2006 inductee Barry Swanton, (Surrey, BC), is currently co-writing a book on black ball players in Canada with Jay Del Mah.
- Two life members, Errol Berry (Carberry), & Claude Reid (Winnipeg), who were inducted in 1998 with Carberry (1946), will turn 94 on March 6th & March 10th respectively.
- Life member Tom Kitchur, who was induction spokesman for the CUAC Blues (1941- 1944) when they were inducted at Morden (1999), passed away January 6, 2007.His widow, Lucille, & family Kelly & Tim, donated $5000 to our Museum Expansion Fund. He also presented us with a cheque for $1500 at their induction. Tom was living at Didsbury, AB. & “always enjoyed our newsletters & calendars”, stated Lucille. He became a coach after he was “beaned” in Osborne Stadium, which cut his playing career short.
- Life member Al Kinley (Elmwood), is the top 2008 calendar salesman with 42, while Jack Hrehirchuk (Dauphin), another life member, is right behind with 40.
- Jim Mutcheson (Morden), life member, has been elected by the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame for induction at their 2008 Central Region banquet in Portage la Prairie during May.
- Elected for induction to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame at St. Mary’s, ON. Saturday, June 28 were, Tony Fernandez – 12 year Toronto Blue Jays all-star shortstop, Billy Harris (Duguayville, NB.) – who had a phenomenal 15 year professional career, Gladwyn Scott (Carberry) – 60 year career as a player, coach, & administrator at community, provincial, national, & international levels, & posthumously, Peter Widdrington – long time Blue Jays & major leagues executive.
Many calls, e-mails & cards of congratulations have come from near & far – Morley Handford, 2006 inductee with Snowflake (1948-53), phoned from Palm Springs. He plans to attend our June 7th banquet & have a round of golf.
- Recent donations to our Baseball Museum Expansion Fund include: Barry Swanton (Surrey, BC.), Gerry MacKay (Brandon), Frank McKinnon (Winnipeg), Rev. Ralph Clark (Lauder), Don Hurton (Holland), Donald H. Reid (Brentwood, CA), Ken Seafoot (Brandon), David Hay (Saskatoon), Brock McConaghy (Calgary), & Donald Smith (White Rock, BC).New 2008 life memberships include: Nick Glowa (Hurlington Beach, CA), Bill Whitehead (Roland), Victor G. Watson (Lacombe, AB), Al McNiven (Coldstream, BC), Fred Schmidt (Medicine Hat, AB), & Howard Sager (Morden).Family memberships – Don Hurton (Holland)
2008 annual memberships include: Dan Cassils (Winnipeg), David Hay (Saskatoon), Kurt Ardron (Brandon), Bill Clark (Columbia, MO), Edward Vertz (Glenboro), Dale Hunter (Belmont), & Ross Lynd (Melfort, SK).